Other Expenses Related to Housing

This part of the program allows for certain repairs that are deemed necessary to maintain safe and healthy living conditions, defined as:

  • Water/sewer/plumbing repairs
  • Lead paint Essential Maintenance Practices
  • Mold abatement (including leak repair, ventilation, dehumidifier)
  • Replacement of a red-tagged fuel tank
  • Replacement of a red-tagged furnace/boiler or other essential heating equipment
  • Bed-bug eradication
  • Any other exigent repair approved by VSHA and AOA


Households must meet the Program eligibility requirements of VERAP to qualify for Other Expenses Related to Housing. All reimbursements or payments for Other Expenses Related to Housing must be accompanied by Supporting documentation such as an invoice/bill, receipt, or other evidence of payment for services.

Tenant/Landlord Procedure:

  • Tenant or Landlord identifies necessary repair in the unit or building.
  • Tenant or Landlord obtains inspection from town health officer or other qualified professional to provide documentation of need. (Need Document)
  • Tenant or Landlord obtains a quote for the repair from a contractor (licensed or certified per state law) for given work provides to VSHA as documentation of expense. (Project Quote)
  • Submit Need Document and Project Quote to VERAP along with tenant name (prospective or current). Please note tenants MUST be approved for VERAP to receive funding.
  • For multifamily buildings at least one (1) unit/household will need to qualify for VERAP.
  • Tenant/Landlord will provide invoice to VSHA showing work was performed and completed.
  • VSHA will reimburse funds up to $30,000.

Work Scheduling/Past Payments:

  • All new work must be completed within 90 days of Preliminary Approval. Requests for accommodation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
  • Retroactive repayment of a repair is possible. Work performed on or after 6/1/2021 with proper documentation and within program guidelines will be considered for repayment.

All new work MUST be approved by VERAP prior to the start date.

Applicant Process

  • For Pre-Approved Items Applicants/Owner submit documentation to VERAP Portal. Applicant/Owner selects “Other Expenses Related to Housing” box in their application or Unit Certification. Clear explanation of habitability issues needs to be stated with the details of repair.
  • Documentation MUST include:
    • Estimate or quote provided by a contractor or licensed professional; or
    • Others forms of documentation including verification of payment by landlord; approval of completed work and certificate of occupancy reinstated; before and after photographs.

Letter of Intent

  • Applicant/Owner can request a Letter of Intent to use in payment negotiations with contractor(s) performing repair.


  • Contingency can be no more than 10% of the total quote.
  • Change orders need to be approved for any costs exceeding 10% of approved work.
  • Regardless of the change orders and contingency funds cannot exceed maximum of $30,000.

Completion of work and Payment

  • An invoice marked paid and/or a receipt of payment is required to release.

Other Exigent Repair Details

  • Repair must be necessary to maintain or return unit to a safe and healthy standard for rental units in the Town or City where unit is located and/or State of Vermont.
  • Documentation of “exigent” repair is required.
  • Inspection report from Town Health Officer, Department of Public Safety, Local Fire Department, Other official per local laws/ordinance.
  • If the inspection comes from a contractor, then at least two (2) quotes for work will be required.
  • If the repair is over $15,000 for a single repair item, we will need at least two (2) quotes from contractors
  • Documentation of completion for payment MUST include:
    1. Verification of payment
    2. Inspection report from Town Health Officer, Department of Public Safety, Local Fire Department, Other official per local laws/ordinance, or
    3. Before and after photographs