Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program
VERAP Closeout Plans
- Participants with Next Re-Exam date greater than June 1 are expected to recertify as of June 1st. Failure to do so will result in termination of participation.
- VERAP is no longer taking applications for Rent.
- Existing VERAP participants (those applying to VERAP prior to 10/1/22) will receive reduced rental and utility assistance dependent on income, according to the following schedule.
- Participants with incomes at or below 30%of Area Median Income:
- April 1, 2023 – June 2023, assistance is reduced to 50%
- Rental assistance will end for all June 30th.
Utilities (VERAP-U and REAP):
- Participants with household incomes at or below 30% of Area Median Income will continue to receive benefits until June 30, 2023, as funds allow.
- Vendors may continue to upload invoices and requests for payment through mid-July for usage through June 30th.
Tenant Direct Pay:
- All Proof of Payment should be submitted by July 15th to release any remaining pending payments.
The Reach Up Emergency Rental Assistance (RUERA) program is coming to an end and will close on June 30th, 2023.
- The RUERA application site will be shut down at 11:59PM on Friday, June 9th, 2023.
- New applications, required documentation, reported rent changes, arrears payments, or security deposit requests must be received by 11:59PM on June 9th, 2023.
- Please notify the RUERA team and provide any required documentation by then to ensure the correct payment is issued before the program closes.
- RUERA will NOT accept or process any applications received via website, mail, or fax after that point.
- The final rent payment on behalf of all eligible households will be issued for the June rent, even if the household has not received the maximum 18 months of rental assistance.
- The RUERA program will send a notice after the last month of rent is paid. RUERA cannot issue any payments after June. This means, starting July 1, 2023, all participants will be responsible for their monthly rent amount and any unpaid arrears.
New applications, required documentation, reported rent changes, arrears payments, or security deposit requests must be received by 11:59PM on June 9th, 2023. Please notify the RUERA team and provide any required documentation by then to ensure the correct payment is issued before the program closes.
Emergency Rental Assistance Program
We understand too many Vermonters continue to struggle from the economic impacts of the pandemic. Our goal is to support these continued challenges as we approach more normalcy in the days ahead.
Our Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program’s (VERAP) mission is to help alleviate income pressure on tenants and landlords and restore stability to the rental community. We want to help empower eligible tenants and their landlords to work together to improve, rebuild and transform their communities and their lives for the better.
The program will offer relief for rent in arrears and ongoing rent payments, utility payments in arrears and ongoing, and other expenses related to housing. (money to move; rent into court and health and safety repairs)
The following FAQs will help tenants, landlords, and community partners answer questions and determine applicant eligibility.