Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay up to date with updates from the VERAP Program.

Emergency Rental Assistance Program


We understand too many Vermonters continue to struggle from the economic impacts of the pandemic. Our goal is to support these continued challenges as we approach more normalcy in the days ahead.

Our VERAP program’s mission is to help alleviate income pressure on tenants and landlords and restore stability to the rental community. We want to help empower eligible tenants and their landlords to work together to improve, rebuild and transform their communities and their lives for the better.

The program will offer relief to landlords on behalf of renters and tenants experiencing financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic through its 2nd round of federal funding for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP).

The following FAQ’s will help tenants, landlords and community partners answer questions and determine applicant eligibility.

What is VERAP?

The Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program (VERAP) was created to help renters dealing with financial challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic. For eligible households, the program offers rental and utility assistance to help Vermonters avoid eviction or loss of utility service. ERAP was established by the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021.

What does VERAP include?

VERAP helps tenant households with paying rent, past-due rent balances (also known as arrears), utility and home energy costs, utility and home energy cost arrears, and other expenses related to housing. Rent expenses include rent, rent arrears. Utilities include separately stated electricity, gas, water, sewer, trash removal and energy costs, such as fuel oil.  


Who is eligible for VERAP?

  • Must be obligated to pay rent on a residential dwelling in Vermont. 
  • One or more individuals within the household has qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
  • You’re able to demonstrate risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability. 
  • The household has an income at or below 80% of area median income (AMI) Vermont Income Limits. 

What are the benefits?

  • Rent  
  • Back rent (arrears) to April 1, 2020 
  • Utility bills, this includes electric and gas, fuel oil, wood and pellets  
  • M2M and OERH, Utility bills past due and current

What documentation is needed?

  • 2021 Annual Income (tax forms, W2, etc)
  • Current pay stubs (last 1 month)
  • Lease or rental agreement or letter of attestation from landlord
  • Eviction notice (If applicable)
  • Unemployment Compensation Benefits letter (if applicable)
  • Documentation for other income sources (Social Security or Disability, Child Support, Alimony, Pension as applicable)
  • Legal Name of your landlord

Having Trouble Applying?

Please don’t get discouraged!

If you need assistance with the application process, community partners are available to help.

Click here to find the community partner agency nearest you.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to make improvements to this program and user experience.